Acapela Studios is a unique music venue based in Pentyrch, Cardiff set in a converted Welsh chapel. It’s friendly welcome, log fire pizza oven and legendary heritage acts makes Acapela a truly unique experience. Originally constructed in 1835, the building houses a stunning concert hall, wrap-around gallery and a pulpit! The combination of timber floor, high ceiling and the classic shoe-box shape contributes to its perfect acoustics.
The venue was voted “Best Music Venue in Cardiff” at the Cardiff Music Awards in 2018 and also “6th Best Music Venue in Europe” in 2020 by readers of PROG magazine.
Audiences experience an intimate performance in a beautiful setting with refreshments from the licensed bar and pizzas from our wood fired oven. We have over 150 events a year with acclaimed artists, fast rising stars across all genres and the very best UK touring tribute acts.
WHAT YOU WILL DO?
- Work with the General Manager / Chief Sound Engineer to prepare for events
- Welcome artists on arrival and ensure that their requirements are met, both in terms of technical standards as well as providing for their hospitality and catering needs. Acapela relies on world class artists returning to perform and their welfare is paramount
- Obtaining technical specifications in advance from artists
- Check and liaise with tour managers
- Acoustic tuning of the room
- Undertaking pre arrival set-up and channel testing
- Sound checking and saving of all presets
- Take artist refreshment orders and delivery before during and after performing
- Keep notes of any faults or general observations in order to improve and maintain excellence
- Assist the Acapela team to ensure audience members are kept safe during performance
- Manage after show di-rig and preparation for the following event.
WHO YOU ARE
- An experienced sound engineer who has worked with a variety of music genres, who understands and can operate a variety of live sound equipment.
- Someone who has a passion for live sound & creative problem solving.
- Excited by working with a dynamic group of musicians across musical genres.
- Comfortable working within high pressure situations.
- Genuine, enthusiastic and committed to live music provision of the highest quality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with both musicians and assist audience members
- Car owner essential due to our location
YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The job itself requires excellent knowledge of:-
- The in-house 32 channel digital console
- The front of house array speaker system
- Assembling of our deck stage system
- Set up and use of the 6 way monitoring system
- Knowledge of our wide selection of microphones
- Understand the practice and theory of our digital stage set up
- Deliver a basic lighting programme
With so many events a year we require a team of sound engineers who are able to undertake roles on weekends and throughout the week. A typical event starts at 6.00pm with audience member’s dining in the music hall and a concert commencing at 8.00pm and with a curfew at 10.30pm.
Sound engineers are typically required to be present to set up from 2.00pm and assist with load in and sound check prior to doors opening at 6.00pm and remaining to assist the team with looking after the audience until the concert commences – when they will be in sole control of the sound or working with a band’s sound engineer (if present) throughout the performance. Typically a concert event will be completed at 11.00-11.30pm.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org today if you believe you have the skills, experience and customer service ethic that Acapela is renowned for.
If this sounds like you, we can’t wait to work with you.